Thursday, January 21, 2010

Weather Report

Here it is, almost the end of January.  As luck would have it Korea has had the heaviest snowfall in recorded history.  You can imagine the havoc it has caused.  No cabs were available for two days.  Buses got stuck and passengers were told to get out and walk. The newspapers describe S. Korea as being a new magical place to visit, and take in the winter wonder land.

Then the temperature rose to more normal ranges and heavy fogs set in.  I did not venture out on these days because I had enough dealing with the driving when the road conditions and visibility were good.  However, I do like the fog, it is so thick I feel like I am in a Sherlock Holmes mystery.

With the melting, fog and drizzle and cooler temperatures at night the icy conditions are treacherous!!  I could not believe it when I saw workmen with blow torches melting the ice on walkways.
Koreans are quite hysterical about the cold, people will often wear parkas, hats and gloves indoors.  At the gym, they wear ski jackets while on the treadmill.  Meanwhile I am creating quite the puddle of perspiration in my t-shirt and shorts.!!

We had a bit of a surprise at a restaurant last week.  When I picked up my glass of water, I found that they serve hot water in the winter.  Al and I both liked this once we got used to it.

I am aware I am exhibiting a Manitoban trait by blathering on about the weather.  At the convenience store I have befriended a very pleasant Russian girl.  The other day I made a remark about being tired of the cold.  She looked me in the eye and said in a serious tone "If you don't like it you can move to another country."  I don't think I'll mention the weather again.

Cheers from winter wonder land!

No comments:

Post a Comment