Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Geumchon

















This morning I decided to go to the city of Geumchon. This entailed a new bus route which was managed quite well I might add. The first picture is a bird's eye view as I got off the bus. Geumchon is much older than Ilsan with numerous little streets twisting about. When I saw this sign for the dental clinic I wondered why they have to stress the fact they have integrity...
I am showing you this next shot because one might assume this means a barber shop. Well this would depend .... in certain sections this means an entirely different service!!!




You would never guess this tall building is a hospital. They have several of these throughout the city without much signeage or any entrance for ambulances. Each hospital seems to have a specialty, one for emergencies, one or women etc.

































I have not yet had the nerve to try food from these food stands which are all over the place. Each one serves their own special kind of dish. They seem to be very popular with the locals.










Cities are not what I am used to. There is no rhyme or reason in planning. You can never tell what may be inside a building from the outside. People may be living right in the middle of a shopping area, hospitals are next to or part of a shopping mall. You can walk forever and always see something different. Shops or restaurants are sometimes so small there is only one table or room for one or two customers. They might also just sell one or two articles or only have one selection on the menu.


























































Right in the middle of all the hustle or bustle you might find a beautiful green quiet park area or a theme park for children like this ship.





















Some of the older women still wear traditional dress especially for occasions like weddings.













Fresh eel are popular here. Something else I haven"t tried yet.












My last bit of news is I finally got a haircut today. I bravely walked into a tiny shop with only one girl and managed, after a game of charades , to walk out quite pleased with the results. And the best news is it only cost 10,000 won which is around $9.00. Hope I can remember where her shop is for next time!

2 comments:

  1. I had smoked eel in Holland and in Nova Scotia, but never fresh eel.I know in London they have jellied eel !.You will be the first one to find out.Let me know.What's the street food?. Kebabbs or sateh?. Keep me informed

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again, my apologies for the formatting problem!

    ReplyDelete