Sunday, November 29, 2009

Cheers!

The holiday season is fast approaching.  I am pleased to say my mailing of packages is done and already received by family.  What an accomplishment!  Did you know that in Korea one takes whatever you are sending to the post office where you then purchase the box and pack it there?  By the way, the cost of mailing is very expensive.

Korea is a fairly secular nation: 34% is Buddhist, 30% Christian, .2% Confucian and 40% profess no religious affinity.  Christmas Day is a regular working day here.  A few places will have some sort of Christmas music and decorations.  However, what we consider Christmas decorations like lights and ornaments are seen year round. 

Wrapping paper is not used here.  Gifts are placed in colourful silk bags or wrapped in beautiful fabrics.  The tying of knots becomes a work of art.  To me the individuality of the preparation of the gift seems as important as the gift itself.

During one of our shopping trips we had an interesting experience.  Al was approached by a group of young men who were filming a documentary about Korean culture and asked if he would participate.  He agreed to be interviewed on film.  They took his e-mail address, perhaps they will give him a clip of the documentary.

I have been busy with my Korean lessons.  I passed the first test and will now start the beginners class.  Essentially I have learned to read and write the alphabet and a few basic words and phrases. I have also learned the numbers and their counting system, which has been surprisingly confusing (for me).  I suppose I will get the hang of it. 

I did manage to find a very good English-speaking travel agent in Seoul and have arranged for us to spend a week in Thailand the week before Christmas.  Al has been working non-stop and we look forward to the break.

Can’t really complain about the weather.  Days can be foggy, rainy, cool or wonderfully mild.  People don’t tend to talk bout the weather here as much as we do in Canada.  I suppose there isn’t the need when the changes are not as dramatic.

I was asked by a friend to visit the kukkiwon in Seoul.  This is the head quarters for the tae-kwon-do association.  I have included a couple of pictures for those of you who are interested.





1 comment:

  1. We sure did get the box from Korea in one piece. You, having problems with numbers?? LOL that is why we call it Heidie Math...and I guess it is the same no matter what language it is. Miss you lots...

    ReplyDelete