Monday, February 27, 2012

A Bad Day to Feel Good




January 6th and everyone, sick or not, was riding. The morning was very cool. It was funny watching people scrambling to put on as many layers as they could dig out of their bags, only to peel them off a short while later under an intense Indian sun.



Once the day’s Difficult-To-Decipher-Map was handed out (by this time I had developed a rule: Doubt The Trip Notes & Worry About The Map) we were on our way.

I was feeling great. At one point I was behind Al and told him it felt like the rides we did together back home on Hecla Island. I loved the pace and was feeling strong. It was a pleasure cycling through a beautiful forest and catching glimpses of the deep green valley far below. I should mention that this was a longer ride (87 km), much of the first fifty-eight being a winding downhill (maybe that’s why everyone was riding, less pedalling!) to the Chambala tea factory where we were to stop at noon.

Too bad that I didn’t follow my own rule and worry a LOT about the map – or for that matter the omens and signs that, as of the day before had stopped talking and had begun to shout!

Omens? One of the riders went down on the hill-climb. He lost momentum and hit the ground hard, the handlebars coming off his bike, hitting his chest. He was in pain.

Signs? Three of them - each one louder than the other.







Difficult-To-Decipher-Map (Jan 6 ed.)? “Ride carefully we had 2 big crashes on downhill.” That message was written twice - and in bold nonetheless!

And of course, Dalrymple’s Rule.

 In case you missed it, that's a truck beside my right elbow!


As a matter of course, Al was on his guard.  I followed two very cautious and courteous cyclists who forever called out, or pointed to, road dangers. The three of us - indeed the whole group - descended at a safe speed. Al on the other hand took off behind the assistant leader (the official leader didn’t like cycling, admitted such on the first day, and often spent  time  in the support van.)

So there I was well back, and there was Al well ahead. Only the assistant leader was beyond him. And then, descending fast and coming out of a blind corner Al slammed on his brakes. In front of him, and no more than 50 meters ahead, the road was in ruins. Deeply rutted and strewn with jagged rocks the broken surface extended through the next blind corner and on out of sight. The assistant leader, who at this point was out of Al’s sight, simply kept going.  Al didn’t. He knew better. If he continued on his way and somebody fell he would feel responsible. Moving his bike off to the side he positioned himself halfway between the broken pavement and the corner he had just come through. He made himself visible, slowed each of us down, pointed out the danger, and showed the safest route through. He was there for nearly fifteen minutes until the last cyclist (ironically our leader who was out of the van and taking advantage of the downhill) got past. He did this again, a short while later.




When he caught up with the group at the scenic lookout where we had regrouped, he was greeted with hearty thanks. Someone called him the safety officer. Another agreed and said that he was really good at it. Al (yet another irony) said, “No one goes down on my watch!”

We were all in good spirits as we started off again.




At one point we waited as a parade of protesting school children crossed our paths. The Chambala tea factory was not far. We continued for a short distance. We entered the town and stopped at an intersection. 

When the light turned green we turned left. The tea factory was only meters away on the left. I saw cyclists turning in.  I was only 6 meters away. And then - I was down.

My original title for this post was the Kerala Curse, and for good reason.

The riders behind me never saw what happened, and I don’t remember. All I know is that I was on my side trying to figure out why I felt like Bugs Bunny. But I couldn’t understand that if I was Bugs Bunny why my front teeth were pointing inward towards my throat.

There is a song form the 70’s that goes:

Everyone one is helpful, everyone is kind
On the road to Shambala
Everyone is lucky, everyone is so kind
On the road to Shambala

And it’s true.

I don’t remember much, but Al knows.  Riders in our group ran to my aid. They were very kind as I lay, apparently an incoherent heap, in the middle of the road. When it arrived, one of the group, a dentist (J) ,who was determined to help, got into the ambulance with me. Her husband supported Al.

What happened next is the stuff of slapstick movies, except it wasn’t funny.

It took ten minutes for the ambulance to arrive. I was lifted in. Al, the dentist and her husband crammed in as well. Then we were off, me fading in and out of coherence. I knew that something was wrong with my teeth and that I had pain in the back of my neck. The ride was short and according to Al, excruciating for me. Happily, I don’t recall. He says the vehicle had the same cement shock absorbers we experienced on the bus ride from the airport to Mysore six days earlier.

From what he remembers, he says the hospital was like the medical clinics one sees in documentaries on third world countries. I remember next to nothing.  Apparently, “J” was insistent that I should have a CT scan and my jaw x-rayed. What surprised her and the doctor was that at one point I became completely coherent and gave my own clinical assessment as if I were talking to a doctor about a patient I was seeing in the emergency room back home. It was as if a switch had been flipped. Then once the message was delivered, the switch flipped off and I was back wondering if I was Bugs Bunny. Al told me this. He saw me do it several times later.

Bad news. They either didn’t do x-rays on accident victims there – Al is sure that is what was said - or they didn’t have the equipment. No matter. I was loaded back into the ambulance and the four of us were bashing off to a hospital that had an x-ray department.

When we arrived, I was taken out of the ambulance and met by staff in the parking lot. Across the lot Al saw what he describes as a dilapidated looking shed with the word X-RAY in big, faded blue letters. The machine was broken. I had to move on.

Instead of being loaded back into the ambulance from hell, a smaller ambulance with a much smoother ride was called in. When the driver closed the door my knees had to be bent in order for me to fit. Al perched beside me on the spare tire that was stored on the floor near the top of the stretcher. There was no more room than that, and there was no air conditioning.

Several minutes later we were back at the Chambala tea factory where the ambulance stopped momentarily. The group, waiting at the side of the road, some of them in tears, waved good-bye.

The third hospital was guaranteed to have an x-ray department and CT scanner. It was 80 km away.

Whether from heat, or fatigue, or head injury Al says I kept trying to go to sleep. He says his sole focus was in keeping me awake. By the way, there was no paramedic, just the driver and our official tour leader up front.

Apparently, even if you are an ambulance, Dalrymple’s rule prevails. Al says that he was shocked by the number of buses, trucks, cars, motor cycles that either didn’t yield or continued straight toward the ambulance before passing with mere inches to spare.
Maybe they just didn’t take the siren seriously. Apparently it didn’t make any of impatient, intimidating sounds that send us veering out of the way in North America – the vehicle’s horn was louder. But in a cacophony of horns what’s one more? That’s Al’s impression anyway.

So there we were zigzagging through traffic, bumping over speed humps, my feet shoved up against the door. With each new thump electric shocks shot up my arms. The pain in my neck no better. That much I remember.

Al says the third hospital was a bright modern looking building. He says there was a policeman directing traffic. He saw hospital staff in white saris waiting outside beneath a big gold sign that said “Casualty”. This time, I was left in the ambulance while conversations took place. They did indeed have an x-ray department and CT scanner, however it was the doctor’s day off, but I could come back tomorrow. Good thing I was left in the ambulance!

And then my luck changed. The fourth and final hospital was only 1 km away on the opposite side of the road.

Looking back on it now, I have come to believe that, ridiculous as this hospital hopping was, I was being steered to where I really needed to be. Whatever seemed to be warning me about this trip earlier on was operating in a different way.

Everyone is lucky, everyone is so kind
On the road to Shambala

I was lucky.



Next posting: Allison Wonderland

No comments:

Post a Comment