Sunday, February 26, 2012

Rest And Be Thankful!


We were up early to pack and get ready. I was feeling quite a bit better and was looking forward to the ride.

Even though the morning’s Difficult-To-Decipher-Map did not encourage optimism, both because it was difficult to decipher and because it contained the words “hellish climb”  (Hellish Climb? Why wasn’t that in the Trip Notes?!), I was undeterred as the morning was cool and it felt good to be back on the bike.

I rode out of the hotel with most of the group. Some who were still suffering from Kerala Cramps as Al called them, either decided to take the van to the top of the hill, or to walk the 1.6 km.


I cannot lie; I tried but failed.  However I wasn’t disappointed in myself nor really surprised. I knew perfectly well that I hadn’t done any serious cycling for about two weeks and I was only just beginning to feel better. So for me the day was not a loss. I really hoped that Al would make it to the top without difficulty. And what the heck, we still had eight days left in the trip and another two weeks cycling through Rajasthan. Lots of time to put on the miles! And I had my new camera. So after about 45minutes I got off the bike and walked to the top - that was hard enough. The riders who made it slogged it out, hot under the sun and cool in the shade, ears popping as they cycled up through the clouds and on to Highland Café (suitably named) and a well-deserved rest. Rest and be thankful.

Al thought this would be a good title as it is the name of a long challenging hill-climb in Scotland. Long and challenging in Scotland, long and challenging in India. Why not?

Al made it to the top, and in good time. His only brush with danger came when a car approached from behind. Even though there were no vehicles coming in the opposite direction the driver did not move over, so there was Al, suddenly off the bike on a tiny shoulder in that section of the ride described on the Difficult-To-Decipher-Map as the “hellish climb”. Dalrymple’s Rule was in force.  Given the steepness of the grade, he had to run with the bike and then jump on to get going again.


Back down the road I was cheerfully walking along convinced that the trekking I did in Peru was empowering my steps. At times I was moving as fast some of the riders. Only when the road briefly flattened did they get ahead.






Along the way a very friendly woman came out of her house and invited me in for tea. I thanked her however I declined as I knew I still had a long way to go and the group would not wait forever.


The monkeys I came across were not so sociable. I was taking a picture of a view when I heard a noise behind me and saw four monkeys looking at me and moving in closer. Not being brave around monkeys I stuffed my camera away and quickened my pace. I didn’t look back. They didn’t follow. I was happy. No monkey business for me!

One by one the group assembled at the Highland Café. From there it was a short ride to the Sullivan Court Hotel and a free afternoon. We were told that the hotel was the nicest one we would stay at, and it was. At last, things were going in the right direction!









Next posting:  A Bad Day to Feel Good

No comments:

Post a Comment