Saturday, August 15, 2009

Acclimatizing







We managed to take some pictures of the building we live in (behind the fountain), and some surrounding areas. I will learn how to organize them better next time so I can better explain what you are looking at.

Today is HOT AND HUMID!!!!!! By three o’clock in the afternoon I had already taken two showers!!! Al and I managed to find our way back to the market this morning as we continue to buy the bare necessities. We also found a great little Mexican place called el Patio where Al had some pretty good paella (although he wasn’t too keen on the squid), and I had enchiladas. We even got to use knives and forks. Al had a bit of a misadventure when he mistakenly ate a hot pepper thinking it was a pickle. He is still paying the price!

Today I was told my name is very easy to pronounce in Korean, but they have a lot of trouble with Al. The people are friendly and extremely helpful. If you even look confused they will go out of their way to help you. My only problem is that I often look confused!! We live across the road from an artist’s village called Heyri Village. Only well- established and financially successful people of the arts are allowed to reside there. The buildings will include their studios, some sort of shop, restaurant or museum and then their apartment. It is a very posh area.

This evening we went shopping at E Mart for groceries, coffee maker, a fan (because we found out the air conditioning can be expensive}, an iron and a toaster oven. It is not difficult to shop because there ore often pictures or English markings on the packages. The only tricky thing is directions, for example, we can’t find the mute button on the remote.


Some interesting things about Korea:
- Red traffic lights are just recommendations
- Recycling is mandated by law
- Jeju Island is the Hawaii of Korea
- There are no old vehicles here
- Korean women can walk anywhere with stiletto heels
- Costco just opened up here
- There are no land lines in apartments anymore, everyone has cell phones
- Everyone CONSTANTLY takes pictures of themselves, friends and even the food they eat
- If you have a shoe size bigger than a size 8 you will go barefoot
- It is cheaper to buy Soju (similar to vodka) than water


Cheers until next time. Heidie

2 comments:

  1. The pictures and commentary are great. I think I might envy you a little heat/humidity since it is cold here again. I had kimchee(? spelling)at the Korean Pavilion so I feel some of Al's pain. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete