Sunday, August 30, 2009

I have learned....

It is Sunday, early afternoon peaceful and slow. It had been raining earlier, but is now somewhat cool and cloudy. This is a relief from the constant heat and humidity. I know I have shared with you many photographs as I try to portray what I am experiencing. Today I thought I would share my perspectives.

I am learning to pace myself according to the weather. I no longer wonder why people stroll slowly along the street or decide to sit on the curb in the shade.
I am learning to live without a clothes dryer, having to wait two days before I can wear something.
I have learned how to take a bus, a cab, how to use a TCard on the subway and how to recharge my card with the vending machines. We live 45 minutes by bus from Seoul. The transit system is extremely efficient, with a bus coming every fifteen minutes. They are air conditioned and appointed like tour buses with headrests, armrests and curtains.
I have learned that Koreans are more helpful than any other in my experience. This has allowed me to venture further than I might have otherwise.
I have learned that I can navigate and find my way even better than Al. I know most of you will not believe this, but Al has even learned to listen to my suggestions when we are trying to get our bearings.
I have learned it is impossible to hail a cab in the streets.
I have learned that you have to bring your own bags when you go shopping. Some stores will sell you bags but others won’t.
Regardless of where you are, there will be some sort of restaurant five minutes away.
I have learned there is no tipping in Korea.
I have learned that our eating habits are very similar to Korean cuisine, and some have been surprised how quickly we have adapted to the various dishes. Although I must confess I will never be a fan of octopus.
I have not learned much Korean except for hello and thank-you.
Finding a hair stylist with experience working with a foreigner’s hair will apparently be a challenge here in Paju.
Korean toothpaste tastes like the old Listerine flavour.
Seoul is the second largest municipal area in the world, its population is around 11 million people.

I am looking forward to learning more each day.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't amazing how fast the human brain adept to different circumstances.I agree with you about Octopus -it's like chewing on a bicycle tire.

    ReplyDelete